We often tell stories about how strong the food we eat makes us. Take these burgers, for instance. They’re packed with spinach and quinoa and we all know that Popeye loves spinach and he’s the strongest person ever! It’s also obvious that dinosaurs devoured quinoa. You can tell just by looking at their skin – it looks like the texture of quinoa, doesn’t it? Need more proof? Just try these delicious burgers and you’ll see for yourself. You’ll be as strong as a sailor and as tall as a dinosaur. Who knows, you might even be able to breathe fire like a dragon. That’s what good food does to you.
Spinach and pea patties
- black quinoa 100 g (3 ½ oz/ ½ cup), rinsed and drained
- water 250 ml (8 ½ fl oz/1 cup)
- fresh spinach 3 handfuls (75 g/2 ½ oz), stems removed and roughly chopped
- frozen peas 300 g (10 ½ oz/2 cups), thawed
- basil 2 sprigs, stems removed
- Eggs 2, preferably free-range and organic
- (gluten-free) rolled oats 75 g (2 ½ oz/ ¾ cup)
- grated pecorino or Parmesan 50 g (2 oz/ ½ cup)
- lemon juice 2 tbsp
- sea salt 1 tsp
- olive oil for frying
- mayonnaise 5 tbsp
- capers (baby capers) 2 tbsp, rinsed, drained and chopped
- good-quality ketchup 1 tbsp
- mini sourdough or gluten-free buns
- good-quality ketchup
- sliced tomatoes
- crispy lettuce leaves
Adult upgrade: Add mashed avocado and more veggie toppings to the burgers. Or serve the patties over salad and grains in a bowl instead.
A helping hand: Get the kids to help out with forming the patties. Preparing and slicing the ‘assembly’ ingredients and arranging them on a large platter will also be a fun job for them.