The Best First Period Kits
Let's face it, periods can feel pretty daunting for tweens and teens but with reassuring chats, access to helpful information, lots of hugs and an introduction to some reliable kit, things will feel a lot better...
The Best First Period Kits for Tweens and Teens
There aren't many people who look forward to having their first period. Of course, it's a reassuring sign that your body is maturing and developing in a healthy way but the idea of monthly bleeding and potential leaks can be pretty scary for young girls.
As periods come earlier and earlier in a girl's life - the NHS states that an average girl first menstruates aged 12 with most girls starting between the age of 10 and 15 - it's good to be prepared. Your children will learn about periods at school in Year 5 but a frank open conversation at home will help make the prospect feel less worrying and talking through the various options of sanitary protection before the day comes will make it feel much less daunting.
If your child doesn't want to talk about it or you're not confident about giving her all the right facts, a relatable book on puberty can really help - in fact, a book is always a good idea so that kids can have a good read on their own if they want to. Another way of reassuring your child is by having a box of period related equipment prepared in a drawer at home that's accessible even if you're not with your child at the time. Popping a pouch containing sanitary towels into her school bag when it looks as though periods might be on their way is also a good idea.
When girls first start menstruating, sanitary towels are definitely the easiest option but there are some girls who will want the freedom of using tampons or mooncups sooner rather than later. Most companies say you can start using these options from the age of 12 or whenever a child feels comfortable doing this. There are plenty of brands who offer sanitary wear that is specifically designed for tweens and teens and there are lots of kits and subscription services available to make the whole experience feel more like a positive rite of passage rather than something to dread.
We've rounded up our favourite first period kits that will empower girls and make that first period feel less daunting...
These JDA award winning re-usable sanitary towels are a great way to introduce an eco-friendly approach to period care as well as being extremely robust and easy to wear. Soft to the touch, the pads fold around knickers with wings that fasten with poppers to keep them in place and like disposable sanitary towels they are designed to be changed regularly through the day, although many people report that they need to be changed less often. Each pad has a lifespan of around 3 years and help to reduce the 200,000 tonnes of menstrual waste that hit landfill every year!
More like this
- 4 reusable pads – 2 Mini Flo & 2 Medium Flo perfect for light and medium flows
- ‘My Period – find your flow and feel proud of your period’ book – by Milli Hill
- Amethyst and Jade Crystal Bracelet from Albion Design
- Optional: Period Tracker & Journal
- Buy them here: wear 'em out First Period Gift Box, £40.50, wear 'em out
This sweet little heart decorated pouch gets straight to the nitty gritty of periods in a reassuring way, providing a range of sanitary items for girls to familiarise themselves with and try at their own speed. The accompanying 'Becoming a Teen' booklet explains exactly what a period is and gives helpful advice about mood swings, body changes and more.
- A range of petite products to try, so girls can decide what works for them all in a discreet bag
- Teen pads
- Smartfit™ tampons which expand all the way around for good leakage protection. Available with or without an applicator
- Everyday liners
- Teen booklet full of useful things about periods and puberty
- Buy here: lil-lets Teens Starter Pack, £7.99, lil-lets
The super sustainable menstrual cup (often know as a moon cup) is growing ever more popular with teens who feel passionate about being kind the planet and like the convenience of easy-to-clean, easy-to-use (once you get the knack) silicone. A product that you might want to introduce gently in terms of it being internally worn and a little bit fiddly, menstrual cups can however, be used from as young as 12 years old. saalt's teen period cup was created in collaboration with teens to design the perfect fit and really understand young bodies. Made from 100% BPA and latex free medical-grade silicone it gives up to 12 hours of worry-free protection, taking the stress out of changing at school and guaranteeing a zero waste period. 1 cup lasts up to 10 years so that's approximately 120 cycles, replacing over 3000 tampons!
Once the cup is filled, you simply empty, rinse, and reinsert the cup for up to 12 hours of protection. Better for your body and the planet. Ready for your zero-waste period?
- 1 Saalt Teen Cup
- 1 Cotton Carry Bag
- Choose from 2 colour options, Aqua Green or Wild Rose
- Buy one here: saalt Teen Period Cup, £24.99, saalt
Period pants are a brilliant buy for any teenagers who want to take a more sustainable approach to menstruation, ditching the plastic that comes hand in hand with most sanitary towels and tampons. These pants with an inbuilt absorbent panel that soaks up any blood are fuss free and great for reassuring teens that they won't leak when they're out and about. The pants come in a range of absorbency levels and you can even buy swimwear designed with the same premise so that they don't have to miss out on swimming. Brilliant!
- WUKA Ultimate Midi Brief - Heavy flow Period Pants
- An amazing book about growing to love your body and embracing changes. A Girls' Guide to Growing Up Great by Sophie Elkan or The Autism-Friendly Guide to Periods
- A hand-made in Nepal washrag to carry spare pants when at school or travelling anywhere else.
- Buy here: WUKA First Period Pack, £35, WUKA
Giving your child a lovely boxed gift when they get their period is a great way of making them feel special and saying, "Hey this isn't so bad!". We love this chic looking gift set that contains amongst other things, a journal, organic cotton pads, organic cotton tampons and a yummy bar of chocolate!
- My Moon Journey Journal
- My Moon Phases Poster
- My Moon Pouch
- My Moon Crystal Pouch
- Pink Satin Hair Scrunchie
- TOTM Certified Organic Medium Cotton Pads
- TOTM Certified Organic Light Cotton Tampons
- Raw Halo Chocolate
- Greeting Card ~ Hey Teen
- Buy here: First Period Kit for Teens - My Moon Journey, £52.95. Lily + Bo at notonthehighstreet.com
Cheeky is the home of eco reusables and its period kits are perfect for young eco conscious tweens and teens. These leak-free, anti chaffing cotton period pants are ideal for sports and school days (they also do a lacy and satin version, or a mix of all 3). Each pack can be tailored to suit the individual with various patterns, prints and styles to chose from. Check out the rest of the site for other useful essentials like the Mucky Wipes Container, Mini Strucket Bucket - Soak & Strain System for Period Pads & Pants and 'WheatyBags' - Period Heat Pack for Period Cramps.
- 3 x Period Pants with 4 layers of protection (3 Feeling Sporty)
- 1 x Plush Bamboo or charcoal day pad for extra protection on heavier days
- 1 x Cotton Day Pad
- 5 x Soft Intimate Wipes
- A wetbag for out and about
- Buy here: Period Underwear Starter Kit - with Keep it Simple Cotton Pants, £39.99, Cheeky
We're really impressed with this range 100% organic cotton period care. This starter pack is ideal for young girls and offers the chance to trial its bestselling products in a range of absorbencies. The naturally soft, absorbent, and comfortable pads are individually wrapped ( in a compostable biofilm) so they're ideal for popping into schoolbags or for sleepovers. TOTM offers a subscription service which means you will always have a supply to hand.
- 2 x Light Pads
- 2 x Medium Pads
- 1 x Super (or night) Pads
- 1 x Wrapped Liners
- Buy Here: The First Perois Bundle, £19.30, TOTM