Martinhal Beach Resort & Hotel:
“Europe’s finest luxury family resort is located in a stunning position overlooking Martinhal Beach in the protected Natural Park close to Sagres in the Western Algarve, Portugal. Featuring a 37 bedroom five star hotel and a selection of spacious family houses, the essence of the resort is one of understated luxury and genuine hospitality.”
The Martinhal Beach Resort & Hotel has been the deserving winner of a Junior Design Award for Most Iconic Family Hotel in 2013. Its modernist, luxurious vibe is achieved with crisp and elegant design features and furnishings. Situated amongst the unspoilt surroundings of the protected Costa Vicentina National Park and with a stretch of beautiful sandy beach, there’s an abundance of nature on your doorstep. Family accommodation comes in a range of options, while the exemplary children’s clubs cater for a wide range of ages complete with exciting activities to make sure children have a fun holiday.
There’s an action-packed array of activities to get involved in, from face painting and crafts to surfing and body boarding. Plus, the three fantastic on-site restaurants offer delicious menus to please everyone’s taste buds. It’s clear to see that Martinhal Beach Resort & Hotel has been designed with families in mind and combines stylish design, understated luxury, child-friendliness and genuine hospitality in a relaxed and effortless manner.
There are lots of different accommodation options, so there’s sure to be something to suit every family. The stunning 37 bedroom five star hotel is located in close proximity to the main pool and is just minutes away from the beach. There’s also a selection of spacious family houses and villas to choose from with spectacular sea views and outlooks across the stunning national park, which are all full-fitted with spacious kitchens, washing machines, dishwashers and dryers. We stayed in a beautiful garden villa just a few minutes walk from the main hotel, restaurants and the beach. Our balcony gave us fantastic views across Martinhal beach, and across to the town of Sagres. The contemporary design features and decoration of the room were suitably impressive.
What to eat:
The three on-site restaurants offer something for every palette. From fresh fish and seafood at As Dunas, to delicious steak and hand-cut chips at O Terraço. Fussy eaters will be satisfied by the tasty meals on the baby menu, which is packed with fresh dishes and healthy bites for children. Plus, there is a trampoline in sight of As Dunas so you can finish your meal while the little ones play. At breakfast they offer a buffet spread packed with fresh fruit, pastries, and full English breakfast selection. Extra items like omelettes and pancakes are made to order, so you can tuck into whatever you fancy. Note: Food and drinks are not included in the overall price you pay for your stay and are charged separately.
When to go:
The Algarve is truly a year round destination and the Martinhal has somethingto suit families during every season; whether it’s a surf break or your first family holiday since having your baby. The spring and summer months are long and winter is short but mild. The resorts location on the western tip of the Algarve means that it’s refreshingly breezy even in the warmest months. We recommend packing a cardigan or wrap for cooler evenings, but don’t worry if you forget Martinhal’s O Terraço restaurant has blankets for you to use on the balcony terrace.
- Travel light by pre-booking baby equipment using the baby concierge service – they have everything from small items like door protectors, thermometers, potties, bottle sterilisers & warmers, to bigger items like safety gates, baby cots, baby baths and even pushchairs.
- Advanced booking is required for the crèche and kids club, see Martinhal website for further details.
- Martinhal offers five sports academies, during the main school holiday periods, where the sports are organised by age group. The Academies are very popular and places are limited, so book in advance to avoid disappointment.
- On site spa – the Finestera Spa has a fantastic range of treatments all set in tranquil and stylish surroundings. Located in it’s own secluded grounds, it is free for all guests to use and includes a jacuzzi, sauna and steam room. Try one of the family treatments, which means parents and children can enjoy the serene spa surroundings together. Or, for some indulgent mummy-only pampering, book one of their superb facials.
- Martinhal’s baby concierge service, means you can pre-book anything you need for your baby before you arrive.
- Sagres is fast becoming one of the best surf spots in Europe, with no less than 22 different south and west-facing beaches within a 30 min drive of the hotel, providing perfect year round surf conditions, so Martinhal Beach Resort & Hotel is the perfect base for surfers.
- During the summer months, Raposinhos kids club also organises outdoor and indoor evening surprises to entertain children while parents enjoy their dinner.
Martinhal Beach Resort & Hotel prices:
Visit Martinhal’s website for the latest prices and room rates.
We travelled with luxury family holiday specialist Tots Too. Martinhal, Portugal, offers a 7 night stay for from £1650 per family, based on two adults and two children under twelve staying in a one bedroom garden house booked through Tots Too (T. 020 7284 3344/www.totstoo.com).
Price includes return EasyJet flights, self-catering accommodation and private transfers.
All prices quoted are subject to change and optional extras may be applicable at the time of booking.
Photography provided by Martinhal Beach Resort & Hotel and Sophie Westnedge