Christmas Eve Box Ideas
Giving kids a lovely box of delights on Christmas Eve is widely being adopted as a new tradition. Here's our guide to what to put in yours and a selection of ready made boxes you can buy...
21 Christmas Eve Box Ideas for Children
This recent addition to the Christmas line-up has become extremely popular. An excuse to open a tantalising present early, full of cosy Christmas essentials that make the build up to the big day even more fun and exciting.
While the grown-ups are busy cooking, wrapping and titivating the tinsel, the kids can open up their box of treasure. A pair of new PJ's, some sweet treats, a book and a cuddly companion are what most people put in their Christmas Eve boxes and lots of families love this little moment for extending the magic and making Christmas Eve even more exciting.
Here are our suggestions of what to put in your Christmas Eve box for an extra special Christmas Eve.
- Open in the morning: If you include chocolate and sweet treats, you may consider opening the Christmas Eve box together in the morning rather than saving it for just before bedtime. Helps to avoid those over excited sugar-highs too.
- Open in the afternoon: Encourage a calm and relaxed Christmas Eve afternoon considering what you place in them if you intend to open them after lunch. Ensure the contents are tailored around creating a peaceful but, exciting atmosphere think gentle crafts and games, settling down for movie with a cosy blanket, or try making some popcorn and marshmallow topped hot chocolates.
- Open in the evening: Create the ultimate calming box for the evening - especially if tensions are running high. Think cosy pyjamas, festive slippers, a relaxing bubble bath or bomb for older kids, and a new story book (we have an advent of suggestions here) that you can snuggle up and share together by the light of the Christmas tree or by the fire.
Now to fill those Christmas Eve Boxes...
1.Get the Christmas kitchen/lounge disco started in these >> Kids' Disco Santa Family Christmas Pyjama Set (1-16 Yrs), from £12, M&S
2. Scrum pum, pum, pum... >> Milk Chocolate Santa Lick, £2.45, Hotel Chocolate
3. The softest cosiest slippers for little feet. >> Embroidered sheepskin slippers, £28, Sheepers
4. Start a Christmas Eve games night traditions with the best puzzles makers around. >> Christmas Eve Game Box Set, £14, Orchard Toys
5. Snuggle up in a hooded blanket - still a winter must-have. >> Multi Character Christmas Print Soft Fleece Hooded Blanket (3-16yrs), from £28, NEXT
6. Christmas Eve is the night to believe! >> Milk Chocolate The Believe Bar, £3.85, Polar Post
7. Elf Club membership... >> Jersey Elf Pyjamas (6 Mths - 6 Yrs) £22, JoJo Mamam Bebe
8. The perfect blanket for sofa snuggles - now what movie to watch? >> Recycled Wool Blanket in Buchanan Antique Tartan, £75, Tartan Blanket Co
9. The ultimate sweet treats to eat by the fire! >> M&S Very Merry Munch, £8, Ocado
10. A rosette to show which list they're on! >> Mortimer the Elf Nice Rosette, £14.95, Polar Post
11. A cuddly friend to keep them sweet before bed..thats if you can catch it! >> Jolly Gingerbread Fred, £19, Jellycat
12. For that comforting hot cocoa or warm 'sleep-inducing' milk! >> Eleanor Bowmer 12 Days of Christmas Fine China Mug & Coaster Gift Set, £15.95, John Lewis & Partners
13. A funny read for Christmas Eve all about kindness. >> The Grumpy Reindeer: A Winter Story About Friendship and Kindness by Clare Wilson (DK), £4.99, Amazon
14. What's a family movie without popcorn? We love this gourmet Popcorn in a fab reusable tin. >> Merry Christmas Popcorn Gift Tin, £25, Popcorn Shed
15. Sprinkle in the bath to create a sweet smelling bath that will get them ready for bedtime...we hope! >> Elf on the Shelf Foaming Bathe Snow, £5, Boots
16. Something moving and bonding to read together just before Santa comes - and still one of our favourite seasonal books for children. >> The Christmas Eve Tree by Delia Huddy and Illustrated by Emily Sutton, £7.35, Amazon
17. A cute little activity with a dairy, gluten and plastic-free sweet treat that isn't as sugar-laden as your average chocolate bar. Santa would be proud! >> Organic Chocolate + Suprise Toy, £2.25, PlayinChoc
18. These ginger iced biscuits can either be enjoyed together or left out for Father Christmas! >> Cosy Christmas Biscuit Box, £18.50, Juliet Smallwood
19. A gentle craft to do before lights out or early afternoon. >> Make Your Own Christmas Masks Kit, £7 Talking Tables
20. The perfect setting for Santa's cookies and his reindeer's carrots when you leave them out on the night before Christmas. >> Christmas Tree Santa Plate & Milk Bottle Set, from £47 Spode
P.S. We also love this specially designed, limited-edition keepsake glass bottle to leave out for Father Christmas. From doorstep delivery service Milk & More (who deliver nearly 80 million pints of milk in iconic, refillable glass bottles every year!) These Milk for Santa bottles are available to order now, for delivery from 6th December onwards, from £2.50, Milk & More
21. Build up the excitement further with this festive sign - perfect to hang on their bedroom door before lights out! >> Santa Stop Here Door sign, from £4.55, Postbox Party at notonthehighstreet
And, the Perfect Christmas Eve Boxes to Keep ...
Pick the right Christmas Eve box and you can refill it year after year which in itself become a little family holiday tradition.
The Simple, yet effective one. >> Christmas Eve Box, £4 Hobbycraft
A classic and our favourite ever, by far. >> North Pole Wicker Hamper, £30, Polar Post
Rustic and looks great under the tree - and ideal for storing those festive books in afterwards. >> Vintage Stamp Christmas Eve Crate, £35, No Ordinary Gift
And, here's some they prepared earlier...
A luxury Christmas Eve box from the queen of hampers... >> Christmas Eve Box, £70, Fortnum & Mason
Is it even Christmas without some Cadburys? This box should please every member of the family. >> Cadbury Christmas Eve Box, £14, Cadbury Gifts
Get personal. Ideal for those special first Christmas memories. >> Personalised Christmas Eve Decorating Set, from £58, My 1st Years
Everything you need to stiff that sweet tooth before bed. hot chocolate, biscuits and even cookies for Santa - in eco friendly packaging. >> Christmas Eve Hamper, £60, Honeywell Bakes