Who could have imagined a quick-footed rabbit who leaves a scrumptious trail of eggs in his wake? Well, the Easter Bunny can be traced back to 17th-century German folklore, when the Easter Hare left brightly painted eggs in nests carefully laid out by children. These days, there are many fun and simple tactics you can use to set up a delightful hunt.
Egg Hunt Sign, £7.50 from The Contemporary Home
Here’s our guide to organising an Easter egg hunt at home or in the garden
- For younger children, it’s probably best to keep it simple, with eggs scattered about your home or garden in fairly obvious places.
- With more than one child, use different coloured eggs for each child to help prevent one eagle-eyed hunter from rooting out all the eggs.
- Having an Easter egg checklist can help keep things fair with children given a quota of, say, four blue eggs, three green eggs, two red eggs.
- Or, if you want to ensure no one eats their eggs before they’ve all been gathered, use mini foil-wrapped eggs, or dyed, painted or plastic eggs that can then be exchanged for a chocolate prize at the end.
- A treasure hunt-style trail is great for garden egg hunts – with written clues and mini eggs leading to a grand chocolate egg prize – and, works well for older children. Rhyming the clues is fun. You could start with something like: “To solve this clue you’ll need sharp eyes, Seek out blue eggs near Daddy’s ties.” Then offer ideas with more than one possibility to send children hunting in different directions. For example, a reference to a basket could be the laundry basket, a shopping basket or even a basketball hoop.
- Look for ready made egg hunt kits to really make it simple – many include arrows, signs and decorations that can be used as clues. Great for toddlers and pre-schoolers.
Gorgeous Easter Egg Hunt Essentials
No Easter celebrations are complete without a hunt for Easter Bunny loot. Arm your egg detectives with baskets, bags and treasure maps for a fingertip search of the house and garden.
Personalised Easter Bunny Treat Bag £14 TillyAnna
Easter Bunny Basket £29 Meri Meri
Easter Egg Hunt Sign Kit £5 Waitrose & Partners
Wooden Easter Egg Hunt Kit £16.50 Little Lulubel
Large Refillable Plastic Eggs £3.05 (for 12) The Little Crafty Bugs Co.
Mini Chari Basket Bag in mint £35 Olli Ella
Bunny Ear Hair Clips £7.50 Meri Meri