Recent research* shows that home consumption of cheese rose by 48% in the last year, as well as another survey showing the Cheese on Toast was the ‘king of snacks’ during lockdown. In honour of this lockdown saviour, The Cheddar Gorge Cheese Company have shared with us how to create the ultimate ‘Cheddar Gorge Cheese’ on toast ideal for kids teatime, snacks and weekend munching. In fact when is cheese on toast ever a bad idea?
Cheddar cheese is traditionally used for cheese on toast – as it is easily grilled, is a good texture and suits most tastes. So we’re sharing the Cheddar Gorge Cheese Company’s top three cheddars to create the cheesiest of cheese on toast, which are all traditionally produced in its natural birthplace; the village of Cheddar, Somerset. Can’t say better than that can you?
- Vintage Cheddar – between 24 and 28 months old, this is a true ‘Vintage’ Cheddar. This authentic cheddar is the ultimate cheese for making Cheese on Toast; good melting qualities with a distinctive strong flavour – “like cheddar used to taste”. This is a classic traditional cheddar cheese; hard in texture and with a rind – perfect for grating.
- Mellow Cheddar – this mellow cheddar, as the name suggests, is the youngest of The Cheddar Gorge Cheese Company’s cheeses. It’s a great choice for those with a more gentle palate! Cheese on Toast made with this younger cheddar results in plenty of character, yet the more creamy texture, results in a more runny ‘grilled’ finished product. Undoubtedly a traditional cheddar, through and through, it is stronger and more vibrant than the everyday mild cheddars available in most supermarkets.
- Cheddar with Tomato & Red Onion – if looking to combine some added flavour, and even turn it into a Welsh Rarebit, this full of flavoured cheddar is the go to. It’s gentle, tasty, yet mellow, leaving the flavours to develop on the tongue and last. The classic combination of red kibbled onion complements the sweet tomatoes beautifully; each bringing out the best in each other. Even more delicious grilled, on a slice of crispy toast.
See below for our classic Cheese on Toast starter recipe…
- Cheddar cheese of choice 225g, grated
- butter or margarine 25g
- mustard powder 1 teaspoon
- orcestershire sauce or water 4 tablespons
- chunky bread 4 slices
- salt and pepper, to taste
- parley for garnish
The Cheddar Gorge Cheese Company, is a family-owned business who are the only producers of this award-winning cheddar cheese in the village of Cheddar, Somerset.
John and Katherine Spencer have been making traditional cheddar cheese in Cheddar, the birthplace of this world-famous cheese since 2003. Using only fresh local unpasteurised milk, they preserve the original character of its namesake. Visit www.cheddaronline.co.uk for more information and where to buy
* Research from The Grocer