Storage: It only lasts a couple of days – so keep in an airtight container in the fridge. Freeze half of it if you won’t use it within 3 days.
Allergens: Eggs, gluten (although gluten free flour can be used)
Healthy bread for all the family (7mths +)
Great toasted for breakfast or anytime of day. Serve with butter or nut butters for a sweet treat. Or serve with avocado, hummus or topping of your choice. This is a great finger food when out and about at lunchtime.
Kale & Basil Hummus, to serve
This gorgeous green hummus looks and tastes just fabulous on a slice of orange pumpkin bread.
- 3 handfuls of kale, de-stemmed
- 1 handful of basil leaves
- 1 can of chickpeas, well-rinsed and drained
- 60mlextra virgin olive oil
- 60ml tahini (optional)
- Zest and juice of half a lemon
- 1 - 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- A little black pepper
- Splash of water to thin as required
- ½ tsp ground cumin (optional)
- Simply add everything to a food processor or high-powered blender and blend until smooth.
- Store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Makes: 1 large potStorage: It only lasts a couple of days – so keep in an airtight container in the fridge. Freeze half of it if you won’t use it within 3 days.Prep time: 10 minutes
Suitable for: Babies from 7mths+
Allergens: Sesame (tahini is made from sesame seeds)
Other veg bread options:
· Try making this bread with various different flours. It works particularly well with a gluten free flour blend (available from most supermarkets) – making it an easy gluten free option. Using ground almonds (almond flour) makes a richer, denser loaf, which is nice for a change. The almonds are naturally gluten free and a wonderful source of protein and calcium.
· Replace the eggs with half a 400g can coconut milk for a vegan alternative.
· Try using other sweet root vegetables such as parsnips, sweet potatoes or even beetroot.
· Try adding different herbs, spices or natural sweeteners to vary the bread. You could also add in chopped nuts or seeds for older children.
Recipes provided by Organix