We have our biggest line-up of Junior Design Awards judges ever this year and we can’t wait for you to meet all the members of our talented, inspiring panel, who all bring their own unique insights and expertise to our celebrated awards.
Name: Tracey Jacob AKA @traceyjacob1
- Tracey has been a stylist and art director in the kids fashion sector for over 25 years.
- Having worked with many of the top children’s brands and magazines during my career including Junior, Family Traveller, Milk and more
- Tracey says she follows adult fashion trends very closely and her work is often inspired by what she sees – and then translated in her own unquiet children styling.
- Tracey is meticulous in her work and tries to deliver fashion forward imagery that will inspire. (She success on every level!)
- She splits her time between London and Cape where she regularly shoots many of the UK’s top high street fashion brands campaigns.
Name: Samantha Flowers and Gemma Breger AKA @thisismothership
- Celebrity stylist Gemma Breger and beauty director Sam Silver are the ultimate expert duo behind online platform This Is Mothership.
- Gemma is one of the most in-demand fashion and celebrity stylists in London with a client list that includes Britney Spears, Rihanna and Fearne Cotton. She is also a full time mum to Belle and Ace.
- Sam is an award- winning beauty journalist, the ex- beauty director of Stylist Magazine she also writes for Sunday Times Style, Grazia and The Telegraph, consults for global brands as well being as a full time mum to Leo and Alfie.
- With almost two decades of experience in their respective fields, the pair bring a unique knowledge base to their platform including practical and stylish wardrobe finds, up to the minute beauty know how and honest parenting insight across their instagram, blog and youtube series’, making Sam and Gemma one of our favourite double acts to follow!
Sam & Gemma said:
Name: Jo Tutchener-Sharp AKA @scampanddude
- Jo is the founder of Scamp & Dude, the award-winning superpower infused fashion brand for kids and grown-ups, available at Liberty, Selfridges and Harrods.
- Jo was inspired to create this brand after a life changing illness in 2015. Read her story here.
- Prior to this, Jo had a long, established career in the world of PR, working as Head of communications for Estee Lauder and Tom Ford Beauty before founding her own PR agency.
- If that isn’t enough Jo is also the founder of the BRITs Spa (artist spa backstage at The BRIT Awards), which due to its success, she still runs 15 years on. (We’re hoping Jo will set up an impromptu spa at the JDA’s – no pressure Jo.)
- Jo live in North London and is mum to sons: Sonny and Jude.
I’m so excited to return to the JDA judging panel for the third time. Last year the level of entries was amazing and I can’t wait to see who’s creating a buzz this year.
Name: Amanda Meachem AKA @graceandgalormodels
- Amanda has worked as a booker and then child model agent for the last 30 years.
- Her first role was as a booker when she was just 19 years old – in one of London’s top model agencies.
- Amanda then went on to found her own agency Grace and Galor in 2008.
- It is now one of the leading children’s model agencies in the country with divisions in both London and Ibiza.
- Amanda is a mother of two.
Name: Emma Paton AKA @finlay_fox
- Emma worked as a womenswear buyer at Boden for over 10 years before having her kids
- After motherhood she decided to set up her celebrated fashion and lifestyle blog and Instagram platform Finlay Fox, aimed at design and style conscious parents.
- Having spent a year working for kid’s lifestyle store Olive Loves Alfie, Emma has the inside track on what it takes to run an independent business and has a great eye for exciting new brands.
- We love Emma’s #finlayfoxshops shopping features and pouring over her home renovations and gorgeous family interiors ideas. We can’t think of a better JDA19 judge.
- Emma currently live sin London – but, is soon relocating to Norfolk with her husband and two children Finlay, 6 and Violet, 3
Name: Reena Simon AKA @hygge_for_home
- Reena is an award winning lifestyle blogger and Instagram queen of cosy over at Hygge for Home
- With over 189K followers awaiting her every square. Her account is dedicated to cosy family interiors and travel and her eye for design is second to none.
- We’d quite like to move in to her next renovation project – a sixties bungalow with hygge, sorry, huge potential.
- Reyna lives in Wales with her husband and 3 daughters: Isla 7, Edie, 4 and Poppy, 3 ,
Name: Frances Quinn AKA @frances_quinn
- Winner of The Great British Bake Off 2013, Frances is renowned for her creativity, mixing together her background in design with her love of baking, to create stunning, inventive and unforgettable bakes.
- Before winning GBBO Frances was a designer at Joules. She worked on the childrenswear team.
- Throw a passion for music and sport and her inimitable quick wit into the mixer and it’s little wonder that she has garnered a great online following and forged invaluable relationships within industry.
- From creating shortbread piano chords for Jools Holland to Florentines for Florence and the machine and a giant CLUB biscuit for Bombay Bicycle Club, with sweet bombay mix, her creative projects always have us drooling.
- We can’t wait to see what Frances makes of our kid’s food categories!
Name: Mariko Kuo AKA @marikokuo
- Mariko Kuo is a fashion and lifestyle blogger and a lawyer.
- She began her site, MarikoKuo as a creative outlet and a way to discuss how to dress with confidence in professional environments.
- She now discusses everything from travelling with a baby to lifestyle issues.
- Mariko is in the process of returning to her legal career after the end of her maternity leave and looking forward to juggling her three passions in life, motherhood, being a lawyer and blogging.
- Mark lives in London and is a mother to her one year old daughter.
Name: Aly Boghici AKA @allmumstalk
- Aly describes herself as a hot mess but we have to say we find it hard to agree! Whenever we’ve met her she looks a vision of polished loveliness, as do her impeccably dressed children.
- A hugely successful content creator, popular blogger and now founder of the soon to launch allmums.shop – a platform to empower small family businesses – we’re so glad Aly has found the time to add Junior Design Awards Judge to her CV.
- She is mother to Amelie Marie, 19 months & Lucas Francis, 5.
- Other half to blogging father and husband Justin @alldadstalk
Name: Gayle Rinkoff AKA @gaylerinkoff
- Gayle is a hugely successful fashion and celebrity stylist who, over the past 25 years, has made her way to the very top of the fashion industry from Fashion Director on Harrods magazine to Style Director on The Voice UK.
- Her resumé boasts a fusion of editorial titles such as Vogue, GQ, Vanity Fair, Interview, Hello! and Instyle and television work, including Dancing On Ice, It Takes Two and The Voice where she has been responsible for creatively directing the style vision for presenters and contestants alike.
- Mother of 14 year old twin daughters Marni and Sienna and 7 year old Leni.
Name: Abi Campbell AKA @abicampbellphotography
- Abi is a highly respected children’s fashion photographer, family travel writer and photojournalist.
- As she started modelling internationally at the age of 16, leaving home to live and work in Asia.
- Abi then became an actress in my mid 20’s, starring in Stanley Kubricks’ Eyes Wide Shut alongside Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman.
- After living in India and training in Yoga Abi became a yoga teacher in my 30’s.
- She describes her career background as somewhat convoluted but we’d use the word fascinating!
- She became a portrait photographer after having her two children, which led to commercial and editorial photography.
- Abi lives in London with her two children Ellis and Jemima.
- Abi is also the contributing editor at Family Travel magazine and travels extensively with and without her children. Can we swap places for a day please Abi?
Name: Gabrielle Spang AKA @scandiminis
- Gabrielle is the owner and founder of the beautifully curated, must visit Scandi Mini, an independent lifestyle webshop and store in Brook Green, London.
- Prior to this Gabrielle worked in brand marketing and analysis, but has always loved design, styling and trends.
- In 2010 she decided to pursue her dream of curating the best in children’s fashion and lifestyle and the rest is history.
- Gabrielle lives in London with her husband and two children
- Now a regular, much loved JDA judge (this is her third year!). Welcome back, Gabrielle.
Name: Diana Bardega AKA @the_mamahood
- Following a career in the charity sector, Diana set up The Mamahood in 2014 as a place to celebrate and support the amazing array of mother makers and creative small businesses run by mothers.
- On her site you will find a gorgeous edit of the best mum-run brands and she also runs Pop Up shops across London… filling empty retail units with the brilliant small mama businesses we all see on Instagram and Facebook.
- Listed in this years F:Entrepeneur Top 100 leading female entrepeneurs in the UK, Diana is a curator and champion of small business. She has created a celebration of the entrepreneurial spirit of mothers, the beautiful businesses they run around family life and a place for mothers to support mothers!
- I live in South East London and is mother to Noah, 9 and Gracie, 7 making her perfectly placed to know what sells and what kid’s really want.
Name: Zoe Hardman and Georgia Dayton AKA @madebymammas
- Zoe, is a radio and tv presenter and Georgia, a beauty marketing manager.
- They met in a coffee shop in Cheltenham when they were both pregnant with their first babies.
- After spending the first year of life as a mum together they decided to start a lifestyle platform for parents where they share tips and tricks they’ve learnt along the way, give access to experts and share non judgemental advice on everything from caring for your newborn to make up tips for mums.
- Made by Mammas is now a no 1 podcast, Instagram and website.
- Zoe is now mummy to Luna, 2, Kit, 1 and step Mummy to Isla, six.
- Georgia is mummy to Axel, 2 and has just had baby Gisella. Congratulations Georgia! (In fact her due date was on the day of judging – and, she came along regardless!)
Zoe & Georgina say:
Name: Yvadney Davis AKA @yvadney
- Yvadney is one of London’s top kids’ and teen stylists and art directors.
- Represented by Roxy & Jack she has worked with clients including Schuh, Hackett, Next and Mini Noon by Noor.
- Yvadney’s fantastic editorials have appeared in Harpers Bazaar Kids, The Observer and Baby Magazine.
- According to the lady herself, her happy places are colour, pattern and mixing in retro nods to her 80s childhood.
- Yvadney loves in South London with her husband and their two children: MG, 6 and Lolo 3.
- This is Yvadney’s second year on the judging panel and we are thrilled to have her back.
Name: Steph Douglas AKA @steph_dontbuyherflowers
- Steph is the founder of thoughtful gift company Don’t Buy Her Flowers.
- She left her career in brand and marketing to start her gift company in 2014, Steph hasn’t looked back since.
- The idea came after she had her first baby and was inundated with flowers that were beautiful but required looking after at a time when she was feeling exhausted and overwhelmed.
- Don’t Buy Her Flowers now creates thoughtful, tailored gift packages for any occasion when someone deserves some TLC, from birthdays to bereavement.
- Steph also writes honestly about motherhood and relationships, over at The Sisterhood and all That believing that we’re all in it together, as none of us really knows what we’re doing.
- Steph lives in St Margarets with husband Doug and their three children Buster (8), Mabel (6) and Frank (1).
- She likes gin, dancing and naps. We have so much in common.
Name: Sergei Urban AKA @thedadlab
- Sergei runs The Dad Lab website and social accounts where he inspires parents around the world with his brilliantly creative ideas.
- He began sharing kids’ science experiments and educational activities that he enjoyed with his own children online 3.5 years ago and pretty soon became an online sensation with over 3.5 million fans across all social media platforms.
- Prior to this he used to work in food export and website development.
- He claims he is not a teacher or a scientist. But, we think he is doing pretty well on both counts!
- Sergei is originally from Lativa and now lives in London with his wife and two boys: Max, 5 and Alex, 7
Name: Hollie de Cruz AKA @theyesmummum
- Hollie is a renowned birth educator, bestselling author and social entrepreneur.
- Through her award-winning yesmum positive affirmation cards, Hollie’s focus is on empowering women and their families on their journey into motherhood and beyond.
- Hollie has pioneered her own unique approach to hypnobirthing since 2011 and strives to make the tools for a positive birth experience accessible and relatable to everyone.
- Her first book, Your Baby, Your Birth was published in 2018.
- She also has a popular Instagram platform promoting positivity, education and self-care.
- Hollie lives in South London with her partner Simon, her gorgeous sons Oscar (8) and Cosmo (6 months), and their two dogs.
Name: Gemma Metcalfe-Beckers AKA @mutha.hood
- Gemma runs a clothing brand and online Instagram community called Mutha.Hood.
- She says “It all started after I struggled with birth trauma and anxiety from having my two wonderful girls.”
- Gemma wanted to create something that helped Mums to know their worth and feel included, supported and less alone. As it has grown, the brand message has extended beyond Mums, to all women and girls, and at the core of it all is the desire to empower them with meaningful, reassuring garments and a whole lot of chat on Instagram stories.
- We’re all a part of the Strong Girls Club and I love how much that slogan in particular is resonating with so many.
- Before I had children, I worked in TV Production and during a brief break in contracts I fancied trying out Fashion Buying so I took a few week’s worth of work experience, sorting out the fit cupboard and absorbing everything I could like a giant 6’3″ sponge.
- Fortunately, they gave me a job afterwards and I learnt so much working in the wovens womenswear department. I stopped when I fell pregnant with Big Red and it’s wonderful to be able to use what I learnt then in what I do now.
- Gemma lives in London and is mother 2 girls: Big Red and Little Red
Name: Caroline Rowland 91 Magazine AKA @91magazine
- Caroline Rowland is the founding editor and publisher of 91 Magazine, an independent interiors and lifestyle magazine that publishes biannually.
- Prior to this she worked as a Photo Editor on the FT Weekend’s House & Home supplement for 5 years, before leaving the newspaper in 2013.
- Caroline has a passion for independent business, supporting and promoting makers and small brands through the magazine, the accompanying blog and real life events.
- She runs creative business workshops and offers one-to-one consultancy services to creative small businesses. Alongside running the magazine, she also writes for various other publications such as In The Moment and Project Calm.
- Her first book The Shopkeeper’s Home was published in 2015 by Jacqui Small LLP.
- Caroline has also written her own interiors and lifestyle blog Patchwork Harmony since 2008.
- Caroline grew up in Northern Ireland but now lives in Banstead, Surrey with her husband Simon, daughter Ruby and Claude the cat.
Name: Portia Freeman @portiaportiaaaa
- Portia has worked in the fashion industry as a model for 15 years.
- She began her career at Vogue at the age of 16 and since then appeared in such fashion magazines as W, Vogue Italia and on Dolce & Gabbana, Fendi, Michael Kors, Céline, Marc Jacobs, Chanel, Louis Vuitton and Alexander McQueen catwalks. Phew!
- She had her first son, Dylan at 21 and second son, Rudy at 26.
- Since having children she’s developed a strong passion for cooking.
- Keeping one foot firmly in the fashion industry she’s also keen to tread a new path, creating easy, healthy and fun kids’ meals, which the whole family will love.
- Portia is married to Pete Denton, a bassist for The Kooks and they live in North London.
Name: Sonia Haria AKA @soniaharia
- Sonia is currently on maternity leave from her job as Beauty Director of the Telegraph and Stella magazine.
- She has worked at the Telegraph for 12 years this year (yikes!). In her job she covers news, features, interviews and style our monthly beauty shoots.
- Sonia lives in North London with her two boys Arjan, 2 and Ruben, 4 months
- We can’t wait to see what her well trained eye thinks of all our shortlisted Junior Design Awards entries – especially the baby and kids’ toiletries…
Name: Elle Strauss AKA @ellestrauss
- Elle is a British-born, Los Angeles-based fashion director, stylist and consultant.
- Elle began her career at The Face before going on to the role of Fashion Editor at Company magazine.
- Moving to New York over in 2007, she took the role of Senior Fashion Editor at Condé Nast’s Lucky Magazine, then was the Fashion Director at BRIDE’S and Fashion Director at Shopbop.
- Known for her creative, upbeat and inspirational styling and editorial spreads, Elle has worked with high-profile celebrities, including Lily Collins, Alexa Chung and Amanda Seyfried, as well as major brands such as Frame and Nike.
- Elle currently resides in Los Angeles with her husband, photographer James Dimmock, and their two daughters Honor and Imogen and cat Custard.
Name: Shoshana Kazab AKA @kidswearcollective
- Shoshana is the founder of Kidswear Collective, a website selling pre-loved and past season designer kidswear from 0 – 14 years where items are sold at up to 80% off their original retail price.
- Kidswear Collective features well-known influencers who sell their children’s pre-loved garments as well as past season collections from brands including Patachou and Wild & Gorgeous.
- Shosh has over 15 years experience in the kidswear industry. And is also the founder and director of Fuse Communications a luxury PR company specialising in baby and kids.
- Shosh says sustainability has never played more on our minds as it has now. In Britain alone we are expected to throw away 235 million items of clothing this year alone so there’s never been a better, or more important, time to change the way we shop.
- Shosh splits her time between her homes in Notting Hill and Miami, she resides with her husband and their adopted cat.
Name: Zoë de Pass AKA @dresslikeamum
- Zoë is on a mission to change the bad image of dressing like a mum is shared through her blog and her massively influential (110k+) Instagram account – where Zoë shares her daily outfits often – and usually in pink!
- Zoë launched her brand in 2015 after frequently receiving comments such as ‘you don’t look or dress like a mum‘ or ‘I can’t believe you have 2 kids’ she aims to dispel the bad rep and perception that mums can’t dress, automatically lose their sense of style or their passion for fashion just because they’ve had a baby.
- With over 8 years experience working as an Insights and Trend Researcher and Brand Consultant Zoë specialises in fashion, luxury and beauty and has been responsible for inspiring and informing major global brands understand Millennial parents.
- Zoë loves in South London with her 3 children.
- We’re so pleased to welcome back Zoë on the Junior judging panel again this year and this time with her one year old son.
Name: Clemmie Telford AKA @clemmie_telford
- Something of a jack-of-all-trades Clemmie is Consultant-Creative-Strategist-Instagrammer-Blogger-Fundraiser-Campaigner-soon-to-be podcaster’ and mother.
- Via her social channels and blog Mother of all Lists Clemmie shares an honest, frank and often funny account of day-to-day life.
- She is also a Consultant Creative Director with over 13 years experience in a Top London Ad agency and most recently at Facebook Creative Shop.
- She works with brands on everything from ideas, social strategy and right through to #ads.
- Clemmie lives in South London with her husband and their 3 children: Bertie 6, Woody 4, Greta 15 months.
AND, THEN OF COURSE THERE’S TEAM JUNIOR…
Junior Editor Bonita, Junior Marketing team Rosie and Jenna and Junior Contributing Editor Ellie
Name: Bonita Turner, Editor of Junior and founder of @mamasvib
- After studying at The Surrey Insitute (then the Epsom School of Art) Fashion Promotion & Journalism Bonita started her fashion career at Woman magazine and then as Fashion Editor at Now. With over 21 years experience in editorial Bonita went freelance in 2012 after the arrival of her daughter.
- Needing something to fill the work void Bonita launched her blog mamasvib in 2013 as an outlet for her constant shopping ideas and went on to carve a freelance career working on various parenting titles, customer titles and project managing in-store seasonal catalogues.
- In February 2017, Bonita joined Immediate Media as Editor of Junior – the much-loved luxury children’s title.
- In her first year she oversaw last year’s Junior Design Awards to brilliant success, helped to raise the Junior social profile and also, scooped a Best Newcomer gong at the Immediate Media Awards in December 2017.
- Again, overseeing and leading the Junior Design Awards 2018 and marking Junior’s 20th anniversary celebrations.
- Bonita lives in Surrey with her husband Joe, her 6 year old daughter Marnie and her 2 cats: Pepper and Pinto.
Name: Eleonore Crompton, Contributing Editor at Junior and founder of The Mumday Times @eleonore_crompton
- Eleonore (or Ellie) is the former the Style Director of Heat magazine (The Beckhamese era), a freelance stylist writer and brand consultant.
- As the contributing editor here at Junior magazine Ellie regularly contributes to City Kids Magazine and Fit & Well magazine
- Ellie is also the founder of her own blog The Mumday Times, you will either find her in a soft play pit or wrestling with her crippling ASOS habit while pretending to work from her kitchen table.
- Ellie lives in London with her husband and 3 children.