* Learn greetings in a local language – it’s a great sign of respect and the locals will really appreciate the effort.
* Use the travel as an opportunity for you and your child to learn about the history and culture of the region together – go to the library and choose relevant books and videos together, or do some reconnaisance research on the internet.
* Treat local inhabitants with respect – they will always appreciate a polite greeting or a friendly smile.
* Dress appropriately when visiting religious or cultural sites.
* Always ask permission before photographing people, homes, and religious and cultural sites.
* Choose restaurants and services owned by local business people.
* Select souvenirs made by local craftspeople.
* Make a donation to a local school or other organization, rather than giving sweets or money to children.