These cupcakes are popular at Halloween and Thanksgiving. The light sprinkling of ground cinnamon over the Cream Cheese Frosting gives them a pretty finish.
For the cake
- Plain flour 120g
- caster sugar 140g
- Baking powder 1 tbsp
- ground cinnamon 1 1/2 tsp, plus extra to decorate
- a pinch of salt
- Unsalted butter 40g, room temperature
- whole milk 120ml
- Eggs 2
- tinned pumpkin purée 200g
- 1 quantity Cream Cheese Frosting
- a 12-hole cupcake tray, lined with paper cases Note: The cupcakes on pages 14–45 were baked in American-style cupcake cases, which are larger than standard UK cases. If using standard cases, the yield will be approximately 18 instead of 12. They will need 3–5 minutes less in the oven.
For the frosting
- cream cheese 125g, cold
- icing sugar 300g, sifted
- Unsalted butter 50g, room temperature
Taken from The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook by Tarek Malouf (Ryland, Peters & Small, £6.99).