Do you linger over a loaf of bread and ponder what to pop in your child’s sarnie for lunch, or are you an inspired super chef who conjures upa different delightful and inspiring snack each and every day. Whilst variety is indeed the spice of life, you may also find that your child is a creature of habit and likes familiarity too. Ring in the changes by using whole grain or seeded bread, wraps, bagels or pittas.
If your child resists whole grain breads, use bread that is made with some whole grain but still has the flavour and texture of white bread. Each sandwich should have a healthy protein source (meat, fish or pulses) and healthy toppings to go towards their five a day. Remember that many school have a Nut-Free policy for foods, so avoid peanut butter filling or nuts in cakes or cookies. Some sandwich suggestions include:
- Tuna and sweetcorn sandwich wrap with mayonnaise.
- Egg salad sandwich on whole grain bread.
- Sliced turkey or chicken with mayonnaise, and a slice of cheese.
- Hummous & cucumber on a seeded bagel.
- Ham, lettuce and tomato on wholemeal bread.
Other snack ideas to include are:
- Send a salad (cherry tomatoes, cucumber, crunchy sugar snap peas or carrots) in a small plastic container. Keep the dressing, or hummous for dipping) in a separate small container.
- Cheese sticks go well with sandwiches, are a good source of calcium and help keep teeth healthy (great for eating after a sweet snack).
- Whole grain snack crackers add a nice crunch and lots of healthy fibre.
- Make a fruit salad with grapes, melons and pineapple chunks, and blueberries.
- Dried fruit, like raisins, dried cranberries or banana chips
- Pack a cold pasta salad, cole slaw, or potato salad.
- Crunchy raw green beans with a small container of ranch or french onion dip
- Small low-fat yogurt or fromage frais.
To drink, water is great, or a fruit smoothie drink, diluted with water if you prefer, as fruit is a great source of Vitamin C and also aids iron absorption. Innocent Smoothies for Kids provide the perfect portion size, or try their new Innocent Juicy Drink in orange or apple, which are already diluted.