Andrew Dunn, founder of Scott Dunn, and father of Ella, 13, and Polly, 12
What’s your recipe for the perfect family holiday? Making sure the accommodation part is right, whether it be a hotel with interconnecting rooms, a suite, a chalet or a villa.
What’s your favourite childhood holiday memory? Staying in Lagos in the Algarve every Easter, snorkelling, sardines and endless games of ‘Kick The Can’
What’s your company philosophy? Families aren't packages - which is why we would never try to them sell one. Only a parent can truly appreciate all the little things that need to be considered for a family holiday. That’s why our specialist family team are all parents themselves and know all the best places to take very young guests.
Pick the perfect Scott Dunn “hero” holidays for the following:
* Family with a baby A Scott Dunn villa holiday is the ultimate villa experience and a relaxing holiday for parents as well as children. All our villas, such as Las Palmeras in Mallorca, come with a chef and a fully qualified Scott Dunn private nanny. We can also help parents with the holiday packing too, ensuring the villa is fully stocked with all the baby essentials on arrival.
* Family beach/summer holiday Pine Cliffs, Portugal is a fantastic family-friendly resort for children of all ages and one of the locations of our Scott Dunn children’s clubs (for children aged eight months to13 years) exclusive to guests travelling with us.
* Family ski/adventure holiday One of our chalets in Val d’Isère, with lots have private pools is perfect entertainment for children after skiing and before supper.
Can you share three tips for traveling with children?
1. Make sure the journey itself is easy – direct flights at civilised times, short and easy transfers to your final destination.
2. Allow plenty of time at the airport to avoid a stressful start to your holiday.
3. Buy a Trunkis – a fabulous invention for children who love to feel grown up with their own bits and pieces tucked away and frees up space in your own hand luggage!
What’s the secret of a successful family holiday? Careful planning, research, giving everyone lots of space and, of course, choosing the right holiday company!
Three things you should always pack for a family holiday?
1. iPad for watching movies/playing games for the journey.
2. A small selection of toys and games – we love Rummikub.
3. Formula milk for babies – the local variety doesn't taste the same.
The perfect family holiday song? For my family, it has to be one of the songs from Mamma Mia. Music can evoke such strong memories of your time together in the years to come. Ours as children was Neil Diamond and we still have renditions of it when we all get together.
Perfect holiday reading matter for parents? If you have daughters, Your Daughter A Guide For Raising Girls is excellent. However, an alternative is Victoria Hislop’s The Island, especially as we’ve introduced Daios Cove in Crete this year, from where you can take day trips to Spingalonga.
Perfect holiday reading matter for children?The Butterfly Lion by Michael Morpurgo (especially if you are heading to Africa!). He is the most fantastic speaker I have ever heard – he has the ability to captivate children and adults alike.
Worst holiday nightmare? The ash cloud last April. We had to coach back from St Anton. That said there was a lot of Dunkirk spirit on the coach.