The Slow Toy Movement, founded by French entrepreneur, Thierry Bourret in 2011, is a celebration of toys that are traditional and creative.
Here, we present the seven winners of this year's Slow Toy Awards. Click through the gallery above to view all of the winners...
There is a set criteria which a toy must meet, to be considered 'slow':
- Must be available in independent stores
- Must inspire the mind
- Must not require batteries
- Must not be solely made from plastic
- It has to stand the test of time
Thierry Bourret says: “Not only has the 2014 awards uncovered eight wonderful products, we have also managed to team up with one of the countries loved department stores to help spread the word! I can only hope that the Slow Toy Awards has established its place firmly in the industry, so we can continue to bring the world’s best toys to the toy boxes of children in the UK!”
All winning Slow Toys are available from the John Lewis website (www.johnlewis.com) from Thursday 23 October, 2014.
· Ian Ellis, Toys and Books Buyer at John Lewis
· Kate Carter, the life and style editor at the Guardian online
· Liat Hughes Joshi, parenting journalist and published author of ‘What to Buy Your Baby’
· Alison Canavan, parenting specialist and international model (alisoncanavan.com)
· Sally J. Hall, Editor of B magazine and published author
· Jennie Henley, the top parenting blogger behind www.edspire.co.uk
They say: "Have a lot of fun building and rebuilding your toy into 10 different models! 1 model can be built at a time. Includes 260+ parts, tools and detailed building instruction sheet for 4 models, building instructions for the other 6 models are available at www.meccano.com/uk. For ages 8 years and up.
The possibilities with Meccano are endless. If you can build it with Meccano, then you can built in real life! Each kit comes with detailed instructions to create a Dump Truck and other inspiring vehicles. Further instructions can be downloaded from www.meccano.com/uk or alternatively kids can let their imaginations run wild. Made from high quality metal, Meccano lasts for years, being passed on from generation to generation and is made to stand the test of time. No batteries required. Meccano requires time and patience but the results are extremely rewarding."
Check out the winners of the 2013 Slow Toy Awards