Gluten-Free Blueberry Cupcakes
Makes 12 cupcakes
150g (51/2oz) ground almonds
200g (7oz) icing sugar, sifted
100g (31/2oz) gluten-free plain flour
Finely grated zest of 1/2 lemon
5 large egg whites, at room temperature
150g (51/2oz) butter, melted and cooled
150 fresh or frozen blueberries
FOR THE FROSTING
60g (21/4oz) unsalted butter, softened
200g (7oz) cream cheese, softened
1 tsp lemon juice
350g (12oz) icing sugar, sifted
Sugar flowers for decoration
1. Preheat oven to 200°C/400°C/Gas Mark 6.
2. Line a 12-hole muffin tray with cupcake cases.
3. Place the almonds, sugar, flour and lemon zest in a bowl, mix well and set aside.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk egg whites with a fork until frothy and mix with the flour mixture.
5. Stir in the melted butter and fold through the berries.
6. Divide the mixture between the cupcake cases and bake for 20 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave the cupcakes to cool for 10 minutes before placing on a wire rack to cool completely.
7. To make the frosting, cream the butter for 1–2 minutes. Add the cream cheese, lemon juice and half the icing sugar and beat until the mixture is fluffy. Slowly add remaining icing sugar and beat until the mixture is spreadable.
8. Use the frosting immediately or refrigerate in an airtight container for up to one week. Decorate with the sugar flowers.
Taken from Divine Cupcakes by Tamara Jane (New Holland, £12.99).
Read more food....