Red Velvet Cupcakes
Makes 12 cupcakes
60g (21/4oz) unsalted butter, at room temperature
150g (51/2oz) caster sugar
1 medium egg
10g (1/4oz) cocoa powder
20ml (3/4fl oz) red food colouring
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
120ml (4fl oz) buttermilk
150g (51/2oz) plain flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
11/2 tsp white wine vinegar
FOR THE FROSTING
300g (101/2oz) icing sugar, sifted
50g (13/4oz) unsalted butter, at room temperature
125g (41/2oz) cream cheese, cold
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C/325°F/Gas Mark 3.
2. Put the butter and the sugar in an electric mixer with a paddle (or use a handheld electric whisk) and beat on medium speed until fluffy. Turn the mixer to high speed, add the egg and beat until mixed.
3. In another bowl, mix the cocoa powder, food colouring and vanilla extract to make a paste. Mix with the butter mixture.
4. Turn the mixer to slow speed and add half the buttermilk. Beat until mixed, then add half the flour, and beat. Repeat with the rest of the flour and buttermilk. Turn the mixer to high speed and beat for a smooth mixture. Turn to low speed and add the salt, bicarbonate of soda and vinegar, then beat on high speed for two minutes.
5. Spoon the mixture into paper cases and bake in a muffin tray in the oven for 20 minutes. Let the cupcakes cool slightly then place on a wire rack to cool completely.
6. To make the frosting, beat the icing sugar and butter on medium-slow speed. Beat in the cream cheese. Turn the mixer to medium-high speed and beat until fluffy.
7. When the cupcakes are cold, add the frosting and sprinkle with a little cocoa powder.
From The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook (Ryland Peters & Small, £16.99).
Read more food....