We haven't seen the movie yet, but these yummy yellow cupcakes are sure to get you in the mood for the next big adventures of Despicable Me.
Makes approx 18 cupcakes
For the icing
110g self-raising flour, sifted
110g caster sugar
100g butter, at room temperature
20g lemon curd
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
For the icing
1 packet of icing sugar
Natural yellow food covering
White chocolate buttons (giant and normal size)
Black icing Pen
Decoration of your choice (you could use yellow coloured sugar, hundreds and thousands or silver balls)
1. Preheat the oven to 180°c (fan) and line the cupcake tin with cupcake cases.
2. Mix the butter and sugar until fluffy.
3. Mix in the flour and eggs (start with a wooden spoon until the flour is incorporated and then switch to an electric whisk if you wish). Spoon in the lemon curd and vanilla essence until soft and creamy. Fill each cupcake case half full and put in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
4. Test a cupcake to see if they are ready by inserting a skewer into the middle of the cake – if it comes out clean then the cakes are ready!
5. Remove the cakes from the oven and allow cooling on a wire rack.
6. While your cupcakes are cooling, sieve the icing into a large bowl.
7. Add a table spoon of water and mix, keep adding a table spoon of water until the icing is dissolved and you have a fluffy mixture. (Take care not to add too much water or your icing will become too runny. To rectify runny icing, simple add more icing sugar).
8. Squeeze in the juice of a lemon and stir. Put 1-2 drops of yellow food colouring and stir.
9. Once the cakes are cooled, spoon the icing sugar onto each cake and spread flat.
10. Decorate your individual minions, by sticking on one or two white chocolate buttons, and use the black icing pen to draw eyes on the buttons and a smile on the face. A little dot in the middle of the button for pupils, and a thin outline around the button for the goggles, and their straps. Draw on a smile and hair and you are ready for minion mischief.