4 medium sized starchy potatoes
1 small red onion
35g plain flour
2 eggs, beaten
Pinch of salt and black pepper
Canola oil for cooking (alternatively, use vegetable oil)
1. Preheat the oven to 230°c and line a large baking tray with greaseproof paper.
2. Peel the onion and potatoes, then grate both into a large mixing bowl. Combine well.
3. Next, extract as much liquid as you can by rolling the mixture up in a clean tea towel, holding each end and wringing out the excess juices. Aim for the mixture to be as dry as possible which will help to form a crispy coating during cooking.
4. Now add the flour, eggs, salt and pepper to the bowl and mix well.
5. Brush your baking sheet with oil and one by one, drop spoonfuls of the mixture on to the sheet. Press the back of each dollop to form a thick circle.
6. Bake the latkes for ten minutes or until lightly browned on the bottom then flip over and cook for a further five minutes.
7. Remove the latkes from the oven and transfer to plates.
These versatile little pancakes are traditionally served with sour cream and apple sauce but they are also delicious topped with gorgonzola cheese and fresh figs or sprinkle with a pinch of icing sugar and ground cinnamon for a sweet treat.
For more delicious mealtime inspiration, visit our Recipes channel