Banana Fudge Cupcakes
Makes 12 cupcakes
3 organic eggs
225g (8oz) caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla sugar
50g (13/4oz) unsalted butter
100ml (3fl oz) sour cream
2 tbsp cold coffee
210g (71/2oz) plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
4 tbsp good-quality cocoa powder
1 pinch of salt
100g (3oz) dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
2 bananas, sliced
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
Coloured sweets for decoration
FOR THE ICING
150ml ( 1/4 pint) whipping cream
2 tbsp honey
4 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp ground ginger
15g (1/2oz) unsalted butter
200g (7oz) dark chocolate, finely chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
2. Beat together the eggs, caster and vanilla sugars until pale and fluffy.
3. Melt the butter, pour in the sour cream and coffee and blend with the egg mixture.
4. Mix the flour, baking powder, cocoa and salt and fold into the mixture.
5. Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water. Add to the mixture with the bananas and cinnamon.
6. Put paper cases in a muffin tin, pour in the mixture and bake for 15 minutes. Leave to cool.
7. For the icing, bring the cream, honey, sugar and ginger to the boil. Leave to cool a little, stir in the butter and the chocolate until melted.
8. Leave to cool before icing the cupcakes, then decorate with sweets.
From A Piece Of Cake by Leila Lindholm (New Holland, £19.99).