Ingredients (makes 2-3 portions)
200g long grain rice
2 carrots, peeled and diced
50g frozen peas
3 tbsp sunflower oil
200g chicken breast, diced
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp honey
2 onions, chopped
2 red peppers, diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
150g cooked small prawns
2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 eggs, beaten
1. Cook the rice and carrots together in boiling water for 12-15 minutes.
2. After 10 minutes, add the peas. Drain the water with a colander.
3. Coat the chicken with the soy sauce and honey and a pinch of salt and pepper.
4. Heat the oil in a wok. Add the chicken and fry until it is brown on the outside and white on the inside. Put to one side.
5. In a separate pan, heat the remaining oil and add the onions and pepper and fry for four minutes until nearly soft.
6. Add the garlic and fry for one minute. Then add the rice, prawns and chicken.
7. Add the sweet chilli sauce and soy sauce and mix well.
8. Heat about half a tablespoon of oil in a separate frying pan and swirl the beaten egg around the base of the pan and cook to make a thin omelette. Remove from the pan, roll up and slice into strips.
9. Add the omelette to the Chinese fried rice dish and you are ready to serve.
Keep little ones busy this summer with Annabel’s new Family Cooking app. As well as lots of simple, tasty recipes, it includes a special Kids Rule the Kitchen cooking course designed to feed young imaginations whilst teaching essential cooking skills. Available via the App Store or www.annabelkarmel.com
Bake up a treat with Annabel Karmel's bite-sized animal biscuits
Meet the King of Chinese cookery, Ken Hom
Introduce your child to Indian cuisine with Louise Fulton Keats' pumpkin cauliflower dal recipe