3 egg whites (medium)
150g (6oz) caster sugar
½ tsp cornflour
½ tsp lemon juice
Food colour – pink, green, orange
1. Pre-heat the oven to 130°C/250°F/Gas Mark 1.
2. Crack the eggs over a large bowl, keeping the whites only. Put the yolks in a smaller bowl and set aside.
3. Whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks. Be careful not to overbeat, as they will start to look lumpy, a bit like cotton wool.
4. Add one tbsp. of sugar to the egg whites, whisk in, then add a second and whisk bask to stiff peaks. Whisk in the rest of the sugar.
5. Whisk in the cornflour and lemon juice until just combined. The meringue should look smooth and glossy.
6. Divide the meringue into 3 bowls and colour each one with a couple of drops of food colouring. Use a cocktail stick (toothpick) to add one drop at a time. Fold the colour in using a spatula.
7. Spoon the meringue into a piping bag and squeeze to make swirls onto 2 baking sheets lined with parchment. Make each one about 2½cm (1in) across. Now bake in the oven.
8. Bake the meringues for 30-35b minutes, until firm on the outside. Turn off the oven and leave them for a further 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool.
Piping tips: o fill the piping bag stand it in a tall glass and fold the edges down over the rim.
For the swirls use a 13mm (½in) nozzle.
Serving suggestion: When the meringues are cool, sandwich them together with whipped cream or softened vanilla ice cream.
Preparation: 50 minutes
Cooking: 30-35 minutes (+45 minutes cooling in oven)
Makes 30 meringues
Annabel Karmel’s brand new children’s cooking range is ideal for getting crafty little cooks in the kitchen this summer. From Mini Cupcake Sets to Alphabet Cookie Cutters, you’ll find them at Tesco now.
Read more baking recipes...