150 g (5 oz) self-raising flour
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
125 g (41⁄2 oz) butter
125 g (41⁄2 oz) caster sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
75 g (3 oz) orange milk chocolate, chopped
red writing icing
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Line a mini-muffin tray with 24 silicone muffin cases.
2. Sift the flour and cocoa powder into a bowl, and add the butter, sugar and eggs.
3. Beat using an electric hand whisk or free-standing mixer, until combined. Stir in the chopped chocolate. Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases – each one should be about two thirds full.
4. Bake for 12–15 minutes, or until a cocktail stick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool for a few minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
5. Using the writing icing as glue, decorate the muffins with chocolate buttons for ears, mini Smarties for eyes and jelly beans for noses.
Cooking: 12-15 minutes
Makes 24 mini muffins
Suitable for freezing (muffins only)
Annabel Karmel’s brand new children’s cooking range is ideal for getting crafty little cooks in the kitchen this summer. From Mini Cupcake Sets to Alphabet Cookie Cutters, you’ll find them at Tesco now.
Read more baking recipes...