The Montagu's Delectible Dessert Menu, inspired by Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
The latest musical to arrive in London's West End is Roald Dahl's sweet-toothed masterpiece, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, directed on stage at the Theatre Royal Drury Lane by Sam Mendes.
Inspired by this large-scale feast of all things chocolatey, some of London's finest hotels have been busily creating afternoon teas and chocolate treats to celebrate. Here, we try three of the best...
The pastry chefs at the Montagu Restuarant within the Hyatt Regency Hotel, have matched deserts to the main child characters in the story. You can pick your favourite to round off dinner or, like us, why not try a few to make your own afternoon tea. The deserts are priced at £6.50 each.
- Mike Teavee’s Chocolate Cake: Squares of rich, moist chocolate cake with a dark chocolate glaze, featuring an edible piped TV and a remote control
- Violet’s Blueberry Mousse: Round violet chocolate cups bursting with blueberry mousse, with Violet’s popping out
- Bubblegum Macaroons: A selection of multi-coloured bubblegum flavoured macaroons
- Veruca’s Nutty Parfait: A nut shaped parfait made with roasted hazelnuts
- Augustus’ Spicy Chocolate Soup: A spiced milk chocolate soup, flavoured with red chilli, cinnamon and star anise and decorated with marshmallow mushrooms
- Willy Wonka Crazy Brownie: John’s home-made chocolate brownie decorated as a Willy Wonka chocolate bar
Our favourite desert was the Spicy Chocolate Soup, inspired by greedy boy Augustus Gloop who fell into the melting pot at the factory. We all agreed it was a rather lovely, one-off treat to be encouraged to eat liquid chocolate. The chilli is a genius addition, creating a warming, not spicy, flavour. And, don't be put off by the so-called 'Verruca's Nutty Parfait' - it came a close second, with it's smooth praline taste and chocolate topping.
The Charlie and the Chocolate desert menu is available at the Montagu Restuarant, London's Hyatt Regency Hotel, from 18 June to 16 July, 2013. Telephone: + 44 (0) 20 7299 2037 for reservations
Every diner who orders a Charlie and the Chocolate Factory inspired dessert will be entered into The Montagu’s prize draw. The lucky draw will include a range of prizes such as a glass of complimentary champagne or a complimentary first course on the diner’s next visit to The Montagu to an overnight stay at Hyatt Regency London – The Churchill. Each week one lucky winner will pick the Golden Ticket and will enjoy two top-priced seats to the new West End production of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
Craving chocolate? Try these recipes: