Name George (and he's very curious, you know)
Born New York, 1941
Defining moment "This is George. He lived in Africa. He was a good little monkey, and always very curious."
Why we love Curious George
* He's the original cheeky monkey, whose relentless curiosity get him into all manner of scrapes.
* He's always so incredibly chipper and optimistic, despite being captured in Africa and transported to America.
* His heart is in the right place, and he's always trying to help, invariably with disastrous results. When he tries to do the washing, he floods the whole house in the process.
* The illustrations have a nostalgic feel that appeals to parents - while children love the naughty antics and the chaos he creates.
* He's practically a national hero in America, and it's about time he was more of a hit over here.
The Complete Adventures Of Curious George is published by André Deutsch Classics.