Follow these five simple steps for soothing your crying baby.
1. Feed her, swaddled, in a dark room – preferably the room you are going to put her to sleep in.
2. After the feed, burp her for a maximum of five minutes, then put her down to sleep in her crib swaddled with her hands near her face.
3. If she immediately starts to squirm and fuss, gently hold your hand on her and sit with her for five minutes. If she is really crying, lift her and contain her gently as you rock her.
4. If she continues to cry, feed once more – some babies need to cluster-feed in the early evening. However, don’t cluster-feed more than once in a night, as overfull babies will also be fussy.
5. Try to settle her again. If she still won’t settle, place her in a sling – which creates a quiet, still, non-stimulating environment to fall asleep – and wear your baby until she falls asleep.