Step-by-step instructions for making masks
1. Cover the floor with newspaper, as this is a messy activity.
2. Blow up a balloon; sit the end in a cup.
3. Tear newspaper strips about 15cm long, dip them in papier mâché paste (one part flour, two parts water) and spread them across the balloon, covering everything except the end in the cup.
4. Leave this layer to dry.
5. Make ‘facial features’ out of cardboard - use masking tape to attach.
6. Add three more layers of papier mâché. Allow to dry between each layer.
7. Once the final layer is dry, pop the balloon and paint the mask.
Discuss this story